Different rules apply in different parts of the borough. Important information: maps, codes, forms, etc. are available on the Borough website (www.matsugov.us). Before you buy or build in the Matanuska Susitna Borough (MSB), the Code Compliance Division recommends the following:
• Contact the MSB Code Compliance office at Borough website matsugov.us
Departments then click on Code Compliance), or call (907) 745-9853 or email at
• When constructing or placement of any building in a Special Flood Hazard Area and or within 75' of a watercourse or a waterbodyrequires a Mandatory Land Use Permit. Please visit our Permit Center
• Find out if covenants, deed restrictions, easements, plat notes, or other special rules affect you. You may obtain this information from the borough's Platting Division. Contact the Platting Office at 745-9874. Please keep in mind the Borough does not enforce private covenants. Contact the State of Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Recorders Office for a copy of recorded covenants. http://dnr.alaska.gov/ssd/recoff/search.cfm
• Determine whether existing uses or development in the area are in compliance with existing rules and what system is set up to enforce covenants. (Hint: If there is not an active property owners association with active directors and mandatory dues from members, covenants are less likely to be enforced.)
• Check for existing or planned uses nearby that could impact your site such as noise, heavy traffic, vibration, smoke, lighting/glare, odor, safety, etc. Remember that most residential, commercial, and industrial uses are allowed in many areas of the Borough.
• Check for problems in the area with flooding, erosion, road problems, etc. Contact the Code Compliance office and request a “Flood Hazard Determination”. Development permits are required in Designated Flood Hazard Areas.
• If in doubt, hire a professional Engineer or Surveyor to determine if your proposed development affects wetlands, and obtain required authorization from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. (907) 753-2712
• Have the lot surveyed. Monument all corners with permanent, self-identifying markers. Make sure you know where all easements, section lines, and lot lines are located. A “mortgage drawing” is not a lot stake survey.
• Remember that Setbacks are minimum, plan to allow more separation between structures, lot lines, shore lines, easements, etc. if possible.
• Make sure the well driller and septic system installers are certified, and ensure that the proper paperwork, such as well log and information about septic system design and installation, are filed with Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation (ADEC).
• For information regarding water and/or waste water disposal systems, please contact the State of Alaska , Department of Environmental Conservation (ADEC). Address: 1700 E. Bogard Road , Bldg B, Suite 202 , Wasilla AK 99654 , Telephone: (907) 376-1850.
• Connection to available public sewer and water systems (such as Talkeetna) may be required. Call our Operations & Maintenance Division at 907-745-9804
• If you are using an onsite well, apply for a water use appropriation certificate from Alaska Department of Natural Resources (ADNR) (907) 269-2033. This protects your rights to use the water.
• Check with the State Fire Marshall about state building and fire codes. The Fire Marshall can be reached at (907)269-5604.
• Hire a certified building inspector to inspect the construction from design to completion. This verifies that the house is properly constructed and may facilitate refinancing and obtaining insurance.
• Obtain Driveway Permits (from the Borough and/or Alaska Department of Transportation (ADOT)) to access public roads and streets.
• Check with Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADFG) before working along shores and in water, including creeks, rivers, lakes, etc. Permits may be required prior to installing docks on lakes.